Monday, July 5, 2010

This and That

Greetings on this day after the 4th of July, which is still, technically, a Holiday. That is if you are a worker person. :) Before I get into today's stuff, I want to give those of you who are interested the site for following the progress of my brother's container house. It's http://myshippingcontainerhome.blogspot.com/
If you have any problems with it, let me know and I'll get with Mary (my sister in law).



Today I'm going to share my domesticated critters with you. The picture above is our Border Collie, Patch, on his 1st Birthday - June 4, 2010. He was really wanting to get at that cake and ice cream in a big way. But he is quite well trained - thanks to Ronnie. He's the disciplinarian - not me! As I've said, Patch loves to herd things and the only things we have for him to herd are my Guinea Girls; and he does a pretty good job of it. It's amazing to see him walk right up to them, and they don't even flap a wing!


This cute little guy is Lobo. He is waiting to get outside on the porch so he can attend Patch's birthday party and get his cake and ice cream! We rescued Lobo; someone dumped him out at a church and so we brought him home. We think he is half Schnauzer, and when he has that haircut he really looks like one. But now we just go for short and cool. He is a great companion, but is getting deaf and you really have to speak loudly for him to hear. He follows me everywhere, and I do mean everywhere! Doesn't matter if I'm gone 2 seconds or 2 minutes or 2 hours. And he loves to ride in the car.



And this marvelous feline is Jax. In this pic he is getting his share of vanilla yogurt, which he loves. He is without a doubt the most laid back cat I've ever in my life had or seen. He is totally declawed (yep, back too) but goes outside and catches mice and rabbits, etc. But in the house he is a lover. Always has to have a paw on you, just like he's holding on to you, and he butts you in the forehead for a kiss. Nothing bothers him - dogs, kids, noise, whatever. I got him free from a Vet we had in Missouri. He belonged to a little old lady who had to go into a home and couldn't take him with her. How sad. When we got him he weighed 20+ pounds, but has slimmed down some since going outside. He is still a large cat.

So, that is our menagerie. We love and spoil all 3 of them, but they are so worth it. I can't imagine people, especially older people, not having a pet. I hope you all have some kind of critter you can dote on and who loves you without question!

Our 4th of July was very quiet. We went to church, then to Charlie Chicken for lunch and then home. Ronnie did his delicious baby back ribs on the grill - St. Louis style - and we had fresh corn on the cob from the fields here in Webbers Falls, fresh from the garden cuke and tomato salad, and hot biscuits. Perfect. Later we had watermelon and blackberry cobbler. No fireworks, which is okay living in the hills. I always worry about fire danger. I hope your day or weekend was special and enjoyable. And that you took a moment to thank the Lord and our troops for our freedom/independence.

Take care and God Bless.

1 comment:

Lorilee said...

You have some sweet critters! Jax looks like the big boy we just adopted!
Blessings,
Lorilee