Sunday, July 11, 2010

Corn Salad & The Weekend


I want to share the recipe for this corn salad with you before summer is gone! It's very good, especially in the hot weather. My husband, who is a finicky eater, actually had 2 helpings of this the other night. So give it a try!

Peppered Corn Salad

1 - 16oz pkg frozen corn OR 1 15 oz can of whole kernel corn
2 - medium tomatoes, chopped
4 - green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (or more)
1 - small cucumber chopped - optional

2 Tblsp canola oil
1 Tblsp white vinegar
2 tsp. minced parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Prepare corn according to package directions if using frozen. Drain (including canned corn if you use it). In large bowl combine corn and other vegetable ingredients.

In small bowl combine the remaining ingredients for dressing; pour over salad and toss to coat. Chill until served. Keeps well for a couple days in fridge.

Hope you enjoy it. I have not put in the red pepper flakes simply because I didn't have any on hand, and it is still good.

We had a great Saturday. I was really getting cabin fever from all the days of rain so I wanted to get out and GO somewhere! We went to Muskogee to Lowe's and bought all the lumber and screws and hangers and whatever to build our back deck. I am so excited about finally getting that done. I'm hoping it will be done by the coming weekend, and then my sister-in-law and I can sit there and watch the men raise the barn the week after. After getting it all loaded on the truck, we stopped by one of our favorite restaurants for early supper. I'm tellin' you, there is nothing like The Rib Crib! I had shrimp and pulled pork combo plate with seasoned fries and cole slaw. It was soooooo good! And their iced tea is excellent too. Without a doubt, I love it.

Also, Saturday morning I looked out at the coop where the guinea girls stay and couldn't see any of them. So I went out and found the wire on the gate pushed out and some feathers laying around. It appears they pushed against it and got out all on their own. Then about 7:45 p.m. last night here they all came back, after not seeing them all day. But today is a different story. I heard them this morning, down by the creek way, but didn't see them. Then a little bit ago one of the 5 came home. She is wandering around crying for her buddies, but there is not hide nor hair of them around. It makes me so sad, but I don't know what else I could have done. They are very independent little birds, and perhaps we are too much in the "woods" to raise them. To much opportunity for predators to lurk around. I won't get any more.
But I sure had fun watching these for a while. They are very entertaining.

Today was church and lunch and then home. Saw a deer and a live armadillo on the way in. Very unusual to see a live armadillo - they are usually road kill. My girlfriend Judy brought me more tomatoes and cukes and a pound of buffalo burger. So we had buffalo burgers for supper. Excellent.

So it is with a sad heart I leave here tonight. I hope your weekend was upbeat and didn't have any sorrowful happenings! Take care and God Bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe Teri. Am pretty sure I'm going to like this and I think Denny will too. I'll let you know.

Vic