Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The "Corner" Store

GREETINGS!

I want to take you on a trip to my little "corner" grocery store. This first picture is one of the roads I'll take to get there, and all 4 miles will be just like it -- dirt and gravel. I will finally get to a paved road and go 1/2 mile more to the store.


Along the way I passed these contented cows, - well, as contented as you can be in 90+ degree weather - standing under some trees trying to cool down a bit in the limited shade.


Then of course I saw some horses who were thinking the grass was greener on the other side of the fence. The nearest poor horse was so skinny you could see his ribs! I just don't know why people don't take better care of their animals. It makes me sad.


The roads are soooo dusty you have to keep your windows rolled up. After some dust settled I managed to get out and take a picture of this poor dusty trumpet vine. I bet they are sure wanting some rain!


Alas, there is always something to disrupt the beauty of the countryside. These two water bottles were just laying along side the road. Actually, it wasn't much compared to what is usually tossed out. Litter just makes me furious!!!!!!!!!!!!!



TaDaa!! Here is the store. I don't think it looks like your average, run of the mill corner store, do you? But I'll tell ya, it is great when you need milk or bread or something like that, and don't have to drive 12 or 16 miles to the nearest market! And it is a great place to visit and gather "history" of the area.


One of the reasons I went there today was to gather information on the old schools in this area. That will be another story -- maybe tomorrow. The owner of the store used to work for the county and is now also a volunteer fireman, and has been in this area all his life, so he knows quite a bit about this part of the county.

Today was another day to count my blessings and be thankful for where I am on this stage of my life journey. I hope y'all are having a good journey too. Take care and God Bless.

2 comments:

carolina nana said...

Looks like you live in beautiful country. Those little corner stores are all gone from my area and I do miss them. Get all the history you can while you can cause I got a feeling this generation coming behind us could care less about any history of anything !!!
Have a Blessed tomorrow.

Lorilee said...

So sad to see malnourished animals. I also hate that so many more folks seem to be just tossing their litter!
Blessings,
Lorilee