Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Farmer's Market

GREETINGS!

This past Saturday morning we got up around 6:30 a.m. and I grabbed a cup of coffee and we hopped in the van and took off for Sallisaw - about 30 miles - to get to the Farmer's Market.  We wanted to be sure to get there early before everything was sold out.  In particular I was looking to see if the green beans were "in season" yet, as I want to can some.

Well, we got there about 7:45 a.m. and there were only 4 stands set up!  I don't know if more came later or not, as we bought our stuff and left!  But look at this great table of wares..........


We bought tomatoes (red and green), radishes, green beans, green peppers and I can't remember what all!  But the green bean vendor didn't have enough for canning yet.  I guess they are just coming on.  AND, the one plastic basket of them I bought was $4, which was 2 meals for us.  That seemed a little on the high side to me, but it's been a while since I market shopped!


Oh yea, now I remember - seeing the picture - I got a real good deal on a basket of small red onions for a $1.  I love those red onions!  I'm telling you, there is nothing like farm fresh veggies.  We have been eating them for days.  Red potatoes and green beans with a little bacon thrown in, cooked in beef broth.........yum!  Also, brother Tom keeps us supplied with fresh little cucumbers and scallions and carrots at present.  He has cantelope and watermelons on the vines so we are looking forward to those!

I hope you all take the time, and have access, to visit a farmer's market and enjoy God's fresh bounty.  Nothing like it!!

That's all I know for now.  Until next time, take care and God bless you and yours.

No comments: