Sunday, June 3, 2012

Corn and More Corn

GREETINGS!

Wow!  What a busy Friday evening and Saturday it was around here.  Friday afternoon Ronnie came home with a bushel - gunny sack full - of fresh, sweet, corn on the cob; just picked that morning.  So of course I was anxious to get busy and try out my new pressure canner!

Ronnie is such a good helper; he husked all the corn, then I washed it to get the silks off, and then he cut it off the cob, ready for me to can.  Here's one bowl full of kernels.......


By the time I got 8 pint jars into the canner it was near supper time.  So after it cooked for 55 minutes at 10 lbs, I turned the gas off and we went to the Catfish Shack for supper!  By the time we got home the canner was cooled down and I could take out the jars. 


It had been quite a few years since I canned, and so the first batch gave me room for improvement on the second batch.  Like not packing quite so full and not screwing the rings so tight!  They did all seal though and that was nice.  I had another 8 pints to do on Saturday and all was well.

Ronnie found all my jars, rings and lids out in the storage trailer so I had to go through all that.  The jars were fine, just needed a good wash and rinse, and the lids were good also.  But the rings...........
not so much!  Had to throw most of them out due to being all rusted.  I did salvage enough to do the regular pints and the wide mouth jars, so that was a good thing.

I don't know if we'll get more corn or not........... we have 16 pints but I'm sure they will go fast!  We had 4 ears saved out for supper last night, and they were delicious!  It just seems so early to me to be doing corn already, but that Southern living I guess.

That's all I know for today.  Until next time, take care and God Bless you and yours.

No comments: