Thursday, May 26, 2011

Shelters and Blooms

GREETINGS!



Here is the surprise I spoke of yesterday............my paddle cactus bloomed! I just happened to look over in that direction the other day and there they were. Bright and beautiful.





It's a good thing I took the pictures when I did, as I went out to look today, and the blooms were kind of closed up and ragged looking. Not near as pretty as yesterday. There are several more buds waiting to pop open and I can hardly wait. Isn't nature/God just grand? I love it.



Marilyn of Stories of NC Mountains commented on tornado shelters here in OK. I know the ones of which you speak; they are found in several yards of the older country homes. The tops are above ground, but the shelter is below ground and you enter through a kind of cellar door. The one I saw into had quite a large space underground. I would say it probably would hold a dozen or more people. You especially see them next to the old one room school houses. My guess would be they are a product of the 1900 to 1940+ era. Now days they have units you can put underground (they look kind of like septic tanks!) if your land isn't too rocky, or they have "safe rooms" that you can somehow put in your garage or inside the house.

Our ground is too rocky to allow an underground shelter, but my brothers steel container, earth contact house will work just as well. Like one of my daughters said, "thank God for crazy Uncle Tom and his tin cans!" Last night was calm, only a slight rain, no thunder or lightening Praise the Lord! We should be clear for a few days at least.

And Grammy of 13 - I'm sure my garden would not compare to yours at all. I only have tomatoes, 2 pepper plants, and my spent kale! :) But it's fun.

I continue to count my blessings and pray for those less fortunate. Until next time, take care and God Bless.

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Your cactus is pretty! Oh, and your kale should continue to produce. Not sure how it will do in the heat, but you can always plant more later and get a harvest into the late fall or even early winter, depending on weather.