Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mid Week Musings

GREETINGS!

Gosh, I can't believe it's Wednesday (the 18th) already. Seems like just yesterday I posted something, but since a couple of my dear cousin followers are asking why I haven't posted, I guess I'd better get with the program!


These 3 pictures are of our road that washed out during the rainy storms. It happened twice within a week! The trench that you see going across the road in the last picture was about a foot deep and a foot wide. As you can imagine, it was impossible to get my van out.



The County Commissioner for our area is supposed to come out next week to check out the situation and decide what to do to permanently fix the problem. i.e. put in a new culvert or make a flush cement crossing. We would prefer the cement crossing, but they say they are concerned about using that as people try to cross when the water is running deep and fast. Now, we are the only people living by this and I think we know better...........so we'll see.



This shot really looks like a nice little creek area..........too bad that's not what it is! We are due for more possible rain this week, so here's hoping it's just sprinkles!







One more little story. The other night/morning - about 3:00 a.m. - I woke up and heard a noise and the dogs barking. I lay there in bed for a minute or so trying to figure out what was going on. Then I heard a bang, and then a kaboom! Then I got up and went to the back door, which was open a little, and the back porch lights were on. I poked my head out and saw nothing. Then Ronnie came around and said he had shot a raccoon that had been on the porch. The dogs had cornered it and chased it down into the yard and that's where Ronnie shot it. Then Tom showed up with his gun asking what it was. The dogs were no where to be seen, so Ronnie went off looking for them. Didn't take long and here they came, all excited. Into the house they bounded and Patch had blood all over his white hair so he had to be washed up - luckily it was raccoon blood - but Ronnie did find an injury between some of the toes on one of his hind feet that was bleeding. Then I noticed blood on my arm and found it had come from a wound on Salli's nose. It wasn't real bad either, so we just washed it up. I think they were very luck that they had minor injuries. That darned coon had been getting into the bird seed and suet blocks that were on the porch, and any other things it thought edible. The dogs seemed to have worked as a team to capture him and so they got cookies after the clean up!

And of course, having gone to bed early, I was wide awake when it all settled down. Had some computer time for 2 or 3 hours then went back to bed for a nap. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the culprit - dead or alive!! Ahhhh, Country Life........

Well, that's all for today. I promise to do more tomorrow. Until next time, take care and God Bless.

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Yikes! All I could think of was "Where the Red Fern Grows". Such a sad book. But great you got the culprit.