Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Donkey Story, Cont'd

GREETINGS!

This post is totally messed up when printed out. Sorry. Hope you can understand it.

About a week after we had Eeyore and Jenny, I was sitting in my easy chair after supper and heard a motorized noise out front. I looked out the window and there was this woman on an old, blue 4 wheeler - the kind you have to start with a rope like an old lawn mower. I put on some shoes and went outside to meet her. Come to find out, her name is Jackie, she is the sister-in-law to the couple we bought the donkeys from, and they live on the same property. Apparently she was quite friendly with the donkeys and missed them, so she came up the hill to see if they had a good home and how they were doing. We visited for quite a while, she pet the donkeys and talked to them, and then she went home.

A few days later, she came back and had brought 4 dozen free range chicken eggs for us! Well, needless to say, Ronnie thought he'd died and gone to heaven. He kept exclaiming "look how yellow these yolks are!" "You don't get eggs like these in the store", etc., etc. The free range egg is on the left by the way.




This picture is a comparison of the size of the eggs - store bought on the right and free range on the left. The smaller size may be due to the type of chicken, like a bantam or some such. (I have no idea how or why this type is blue and underlined. Please excuse it - I can't seem to fix it or remove it! :P)


And this is just a size comparison. Obviously, store bought egg on the right and free range egg on the left. I think I would have to use 3 or 4 of the smaller ones to equal 2 of the big ones. I did make some really good chocolate chip cookies with them; and Ronnie has had numerous fried egg sandwiches; and tonight we had breakfast for supper, which included free range eggs.

So! Now you know how I met my new friend, Jackie. I told her she could have visiting rights with Jenny and Eeyore and to feel free to come any time she wanted. She seems like a very nice person and I look forward to getting to know her better. Oh, another thing I learned from the man we bought the donkeys from: We live in Winter's Holler - or at the top ridge of it anyway. Don't know if anyone else knows where that is, but I like it......

That's it for tonight. I hope you all had a great day. Take care and God Bless.

No comments: