Monday, June 28, 2010

A Taste of Summer

 
Posted by Picasa
Hello Friends!
Here we are at the beginning of another week. I hope you all had a great weekend, and look forward to the new adventures this week will bring.
I want to start by expounding on the picture I posted for today. To my way of thinking, there is nothing better than a juicy, ripe tomato plucked from the garden vine and small, firm cucumbers. Unless of course it is sweet corn that was picked fresh and bought from the farmer's field early in the morning. These things have been our staples for supper for the past few days. It seems we wait all winter long for fresh vegetables and when the time arrives we make pigs of ourselves!
It's truly amazing to have all this wonderful stuff since we don't have a garden! :) This past winter I gave my friend my electric keyboard (piano type) for her grandson. It was decided that because I didn't want money for it, she would "pay" me in fresh tomatoes and cucumbers this summer. What a deal!! And the sweet corn is from the little town of Webbers Falls, OK where it's a major crop; and close by and they sell it out of a farm wagon along side the highway. I hope you all are as fortunate and can sample the garden goodness. There's nothing like it. One of the best things is being here in Oklahoma and getting such early harvests. Back home in Western Washington State, you didn't get anything out of the garden until August or later!
My weekend was busy. I worked at the church in the Clothes Closet for 3 hours Saturday morning. What a joy to see people come in and get very needed items of clothing all for a "thank you". We had 24 families representing 92 people and taking 900+ items of clothing. Isn't God just grand? I think word is spreading and we will continue to grow and help people. On Sunday there was Sunday School and then church. Then after Ronnie and I stopped by Charlie Chicken for lunch. That's becoming a Sunday habit.......a good one too.
Today was a mandatory trip to Checotah and WalMart to get water and Hummingbird food. And another feeder. When we put up the first feeder we only had 2 hummers; now there are 6 of them "fighting" for a spot in the 4 bird feeder. So, problem solved........for now. Also bought a kit for grooming the dogs....clippers and such. Now we just have to get brave and start cutting. It's been so hot that the long hair on Patch is making it worse. I think if his hair is shorter he will be cooler and maybe have less bugs and itches. And, he might stay cleaner!
Okay, I'm done for today. Going to try to post the picture......wish me luck!
Take care and God bless.

No comments: