Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Getting Garden Ready

GREETINGS!

Yesterday was a busy "planting", "weeding" , "fixing" day around here.  First we made a quick trip to town to get some barrels for the "garden" and to stop at the post office and mail my youngest daughter's birthday present.  It's my most favorite table runner I've made so far; will post picture after she gets it.  Also a stop at the grocery for some instant powdered milk and epsom salts.

Then it was home to weed, fill barrels and plant.  We borrowed the barrel idea from my brother and hope it works well for us.  The ground here is so rocky and clay-ee and nonfertile anything is worth a try!  The picture below is the "barrel brigade" of tomato plants.  Only 4 of the 6 with plants so far.  Oh, the powdered milk and epsom salts go in the bottom of the hole for the tomato plant to give them those nutrients and it supposedly helps prevent blossom end rot.  I borrowed that from Hickery Holler Farm blog.  Hope it helps our crop!


This next one is our "above ground box garden", waiting for some Kale to be planted.  I don't know what else will go in there, if anything.  Looks nice all weed free though, doesn't it???


We are not really in to planting a bunch of stuff.  Ronnie does his radishes in early Spring and we love our tomatoes and kale.  My brother on the other hand plants melons, cukes, potatoes, tomatoes lettuce, brocolli,  etc. so we just hope and pray he has an abundance!  hee hee  Just kidding.  I ordered a new seal for my pressure canner and took the gauge in for pressure check and was told I need a new one!  Not surprised really.  Now I'm wanting a smaller sized one since I won't be canning quarts anymore.  I'll have to shop around before the sweet corn is in!

This picture is of my Prickly Pear Cactus garden!  Ronnie got the rocks around it yesterday.   Looks really good when they are all in bloom.


And the following two pics are of the wild flowers growing around the edges of our back yard.  They are Oxeye Daisy's - the little, tiny while daisies, and Black Eyed Susans.  Oklahoma is full of pretty wild flowers; as is your state too I imagine.  We just need to appreciate them!



Be sure to double click on the pictures so you can get a better look at what I'm talking about!

And last but not least, this is where Mr. Jax has decided to spend his time now.  I think because all the furniture in the front room is covered with newspaper to keep him off because he's shedding so badly!  And this is the only place he can lay, except on a footstool with a towel on it for him.  Poor Jax!


That's for sure all I know for today!  Until next time, take care and God bless you and yours.

No comments: