Friday, July 19, 2013

PRESERVING

Greetings!

I made it in again!  After spending over an hour on the phone with a very nice young man on the help desk in North Carolina!  He took me step by step, and actually did all the work from there on my computer! and now all I have to do is click on the icon and here I am! I am so grateful and happy!  :)
I guess you might say the nice young man preserved me too (from getting mad and frustrated, etc.)

These tomatoes are about the end of our crop.  They are way more than we can eat befor they spoil so I need to do something with them!~  I already have about 8 or 10 bags in the freezer to use in sauces and chili and such, so I thought I would try something different with these.

 

 
I washed and peeled them and put them in the blender and chopped them up.  They are more liquid than chopped, but I'm hoping I can use them in sauces and such too.  Only got 3 of the containers full (like the ones in the picture) so we'll see...........................  I know it seems early to be at the end of the season, but we planted early, and the heat here on top of the "mountain" really gets them growing!  My favorites again this year were the heirloom Cherokee Purples.  I could do fine without the yellow and various reds, but to keep peace I allow them!  lol
 
Tomorrow will be time to hunt for a good peach cobbler recipe and make that up.  These peaches are from Porter, OK, supposedly the peach capital of Oklahoma.  In my opinion, they are nothing to brag about!  I'm still spoiled from getting huge, lovely peaches from Calhoun County in Illinois!  It was so nice to hop the ferry from Winfield, Missouri and cross the Mississippi river, landing in Calhoun County Illinois, and spend the day buying peaches and eating.  A lovely day trip!


 
 



This pan of peaches, add in  3 more that got eaten, cost $12.00!  And they are small.  I will say they are sweet and juicy, but definitely not Calhoun County quality!  But we'll just have to make do!

A week or so ago I found a recipe for blackberry dumplings and just happened to have a couple of quarts of frozen blackberries from last year in the freezer.  So I made them and I have to say, they were quite good.  Hubby said I could have had more juice, but othere than that they were good.  I thought with a dollop of cool whip they were great!  I would recommend them if  you have the fixin's!

That's all the cooking chatter for now.  We just got back from supper at the Catfish Shack and I'm very full and content.  They make the best catfish fillets and serve them to you right from the fryer........as much as you want, when you want it! 

Oh, I want to thank Grammy of 13 (more now I think) for reading my last blog and commenting on it.  It was so nice to be welcomed back!!  Wish me luck with my cobbler tomorrow!  Until next time, take care.


No comments: