Sunday, July 8, 2012

More Space

GREETINGS!

I really don't think I'm cut out to be a farmer;  I can't stand really, to see the animals and/or fowl cooped up in a pen!  And I really can't let my chickens out to roam free (as much as I want to) because of all the predators around here; i.e. hawks, owls, coyotes, eagles, dogs, etc.  So, as much as I loved my little coop, I couldnt' stand to see my 4 chickens "cooped" up in it!


Enter my grumbling  :)   husband with posts, tractor, post pounder and wire and  2 x 4's !!


They now have about a 20 x 3' run area, and do they ever love it!  It's so cool to see them running around and scratching for bugs and food.  We'v given them watermelon and cantelope rinds and dried bread heels and they seem to enjoy it all.  But I'm sure nothing beats a bug!  Saw one with a good sized grasshopper the other day!

I think it will be October sometime before they lay eggs; we'll have to wait and see. And when they do, they are quite small.  But I really don't care about the eggs anyway, I just like to watch them do their dances!  And I think chickens are smart..........

Last week we also had visits from a neighbors herd of cows - about 30 of them. They came 3 days last week and Salli and Patch loved it.  They got to show off their herding skills, as did my husband on his 4 wheeler!  It's fun to watch them, but not when they drink all the water in my fountain in the back yard!  And they can really ruin things at times, depending on where they decide to go!  Such is life on the "mountain".

That's all I know for now.  Until next time, take care and God bless you and yours.

No comments: