Tuesday, February 12, 2013

School Days

GREETINGS!

Today, a Tuesday, is back to school day.  I may have told you I am volunteering at one of the elementary schools here.  I go every Tuesday and Wednesday morning for about 3 hours.  I "work" for the 2 second grade teachers, tutoring some students in reading, spelling, and vocabulary exercises.  It is really a rewarding "job".  Most of the kids are eager to learn, and I think it gives them a new perspective to work with someone other than a parent or teacher!

After the tutoring time is up, I do some copying of the next week's lessons for both teachers.  This usually takes about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.  I think it is the one thing that really helps the teachers as far as time savings go.  This year they had to start using the computer for ALL phases of teaching; planning lessons, grade keeping, attendance keeping, grade reporting, etc.  And it is taking time for them to "learn the ropes" so to speak! 

This is the front door to the school, which was build in 1960 or 62!  About the time I graduated from high school.....................

 
 
This is looking down to the right from the front doors.  See all the window A/C units!  This was built before central air I guess, and before 110+ was common!  Can you see the cinder block construction?
 
 
This is one of the 2nd grade classrooms I work in.  Very neat and clean!
 


In Oklahoma each small town has its own school system.  So in another wing of this school is the high school area, and one wing for the lunch room, library, kitchen, etc.  The "middle" school kids are in there somewhere too.  The towns may only be 1 or 2 miles apart, but they have their own school!   And sports teams also.  Very interesting.

I must say I have a new respect for teachers since volunteering.  These teachers have 24 students each, with no other help besides what little I give them.  And the things they are teaching!  Some things I don't think I learned until 5th grade or more.  How times change.........

The flu bug hit the school hard; 1/5th of the school was absent at one point and they closed the school for a day to disinfect it!  That sounds good, but they could not disinfect the kids!  I took a couple weeks off during the worst part just to be safe.

So, if you are looking for something to do, think about volunteering at a school near you.  It's a lot of fun and the teachers surely need help!  Until next time, take care and be safe.

No comments: