Saturday, July 2, 2011

From The Garden

GREETINGS!

I cannot believe it's been a whole week since I posted! And I have no excuse other than time just seems to slip away.

We have been busy trying to stay cool, but what's new?! The report is we had 29 out of 30 days in June over 90 degrees. And this week is all 100 or over, so a hot 4th of July is coming. Get out the sun screen or crank up the air conditioning; or both!



These cute little cucumbers are from Mary's garden. I had some in a salad for lunch today and they were great. She said some were bitter, but I used my "rub the cut ends together" secret and they weren't bitter to me! Anyone else ever hear of that little secret?



And these are Early Girl tomatoes Mary shared with us as ours are a later variety and aren't ripe yet. Although, I did eat one of my black Cherokee tomatoes - that wasn't totally ripe - and it was out of this world. Got more getting ripe and can't wait. Will definitely plant more of them next year.



And this.........this is Webbers Falls Sweet Corn! I want to tell you, it is the best sweet corn I've ever eaten. Ronnie and Tom bought a bushel a week or so ago and we split it. Then a couple days ago, they bought another bushel. So we each ended up with a bushel. One was $10 and one was $12 - from different farmers. The locals say to just freeze it in bags with the husk on - no muss or fuss - and that's what we did. Saving out enough for a few dinners of course! We did take enough for a couple suppers off the cob, and it was delicious also.

So, tomorrow is go to town day and get the traditional 4th of July watermelon to go with the corn on the cob and who knows what else! Mary's watermelons and cantelopes aren't big enought to harvest yet, so we have to buy them! Can't wait for home grown ones.

I hope you have a great weekend and remember what we are really celebrating!------
One nation, under God, with Liberty and Justice for all. Thank you Lord. Until next time, take care and God Bless.

No comments: